To use the IAB TCF Consent Framework and send the consent string to your vendors, you must use a consent pop-up that has been approved by IAB based on specific criteria.
The IAB has strict design requirements for how the UI of the consent pop-up should be before it complies with the framework. To make sure our clients follow these requirements, Cookie Information has created a consent pop-up design that has been approved by the IAB.
This is an unstyled version on the Consent pop-up, which you can style to fit your brand.
See the guide here: Change logo in pop-up
The toggles on the first view of the popup is from Cookie Control SDK.
The design will adjust to fit the cookie categories which are found on your website automatically. This means that you only can see the final design after we have finalized a scan our your website and only if you have a publish domain within your consent solution.
That means on a Consent Solution with only a TEST domain in it, will not show these toggles.
You can see the template here in action here:
How to set up IAB TCF 2.0
First, you must choose the template for IAB TCF. To ensure compliance with the framework we will unlock the full features only on request by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See how to change to the IAB TCF consent pop-up template
1) Navigate to the specific consent solution where you wish to apply the new consent pop-up template.
2) Choose the tab "Pop-up" and click "Change template."
3) In the dropdown, choose the template called "IAB - tcf 2.0" and click "Update." The template will now be copied into the current Consent Solution and the domains connected to it. This will not affect other Consent Solution within your account as their designs will stay the same.
5) To finalize, click "Save & Publish."
Enabling the IAB TCF:
1) Adjust the consent pop-up script by adding an attribute
To make sure that you are sending the correct consent string via IAB tcf, you need to add exchange the consent pop-up script from the standard version to one that contains the two tcf attributes, as you see below.
If you already have implemented a consent pop-up script on your website please exchange it for this.
Here you can see the description of each data attribute.
data-culture="en" ---> CONTROLS THE LANGAUGES
data-tcf-v2-enabled="true"---> ENABLES TCF
data-tcf-global-scope="false"---> ENABLES GLOBAL VS. LOCAL SCOPE OF THE
CONSENT STRING. This is sometimes also refered to as Out-of-band.
2) To make sure that you reset consents, thereby complying with IAB policies and refreshing the implementation on your website, please use the push for consent function for that specific consent solution.
Working with TCF and the Cookie Control SDK
The consent pop-up will include the full functionality of the Cookie Control SDK with the one addition that the marketing category also will fire the IAB TCF consent string. This means that if a user declines on the Marketing toggle they would also decline in the TCF consent string, and vice versa.
Country specific design requirements
Since local laws and guidelines can differ from the IAB TCF requirements for how your consent pop-up should look and how the text should be, the above guidance might have to adjusted for your specific need.
If you need help determining how your consent pop-up please contact us at email@example.com
One of the country-specific requirements is the design and text in Denmark. Here IAB Denmark as approved a different text which should be used without any amendments.
See the danish version here: